Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Learning to really listen

Once again, Jamie over at Jamie Ridler Studios has asked a question that seems to hit a little too close to home. Today's question leaves me feeling like I've been punched in the gut - a good sign that I need to listen to my answer.

Today's question: What do I want to learn?

I want to learn to really listen to myself. I am smarter and wiser than I am usually willing to admit. I have a very wise inner voice that would lead me if I would only let her. She was there to warn me before I got myself into any number of damaging relationships. Instead of listening to her, I listened to the "But maybe . . ." voice.

I used to think that the But Maybe was my hopeful, optimistic voice, but I am learning that she is my self-sabotaging voice. She convinces me to make choices that I know will end in heartache. When my Bad Ass Wise Woman self says, "This is a bad idea, period," little old But Maybe pipes in, "But maybe it will be the most wonderful experience of your life. Maybe you can change him. Maybe you can learn to be happy with this situation. Maybe this will be enough." When I listen to But Maybe, I find myself in pain that takes years to heal.

On the rare occasions that I listen to Bad Ass Wise Woman, I find myself in the most amazing places, in the most fulfilling relationships, and in the midst of that peace that passes understanding. I'm afraid that I have ignored her into silence these past few years. So, I want to learn how to bring her back, to honor her, and most of all to listen to her and heed her wisdom.

What do you wish to learn today?

19 comments:

  1. As Stefanie wishes for herself, I wish for her also! I hear you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Stefanie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    And for her Bad Ass Wise Woman self :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Stefanie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.
    I also smiled with bad ass wise woman, LOL
    blessings sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Stefanie wishes for herself, I wish for her also!

    This is great post, and i totally hear you. I hope you learn to listen more to your wise inner voice and listen less to your But Maybe voice. What I great name to give your self-sabotaging voice. I never would have made the connection as I too tend to think of my But Maybe voice as my hopeful, optimistic voice. You have given me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Stefanie wishes for herself, I wish for her also. May you always hear and listen to that inner voice of wisdom, it knows even when you don't. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Stefanie wish for herself, so do I wish for her.

    We all should learn to let our inner positive voice to drown out the inner negative voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bad Ass Wise Woman, as you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Stefanie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Stefanie wishes for herself I so wish for her as well.
    I love your wish--it hits me hard too w the resonation...I understand...and wish you even more of the best...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so dig the Bad Ass Wise Woman (BAWW UNITE!!).
    let's start a movement!! Uniform is jeans, kick-ass boots and black leather vests...with nothing underneath. (oh...sorry...I'm just really enjoying the BAWW.)

    As Stefanie wishes for herself, I really wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As Stefanie the "Bad Ass Wise Woman" wishes for herself..(totally loving that btw) so too do I wish for Stefanie! YES! YES! YES! :) Sorry, that was my BAWW inner voice.... :)
    ~Shamsi

    ReplyDelete
  12. As Stefanie wishes for herself, I SO wish for her as well.

    Unfortunately, I could relate all too well to what you wrote. Here's to listening to ourselves!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. You most certainly can borrow my wish! I think it's big enough for two!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderful post! I too need to kill
    the "But Maybe" voice. Thanks for reminding us all.

    As Stefanie wishes for herself, so I wish for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Badass Wise Woman - we all need to listen to your more.

    Yay, BAWW!

    May all your wishes come true for you.

    As Stephanie wishes for herself, so I wish for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my God what a wise and well-written post. As Stephanie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As Stefanie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful name - BadAss Wise Woman - may she always guide you!

    As Stefanie wishes for herself, I wish for her also!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As Stefanie wishes for herself, I wish for her also!

    Oh wonderful post!! Took me years to listen to myself!!! May it come easier for you!!
    Namaste, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  19. As Stefanie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    And thank you for providing the name of the voice in my head - now I can politely ask But Maybe to butt out!

    ReplyDelete